Wednesday, March 21, 2012

It’s been a fairly slow week for training; concentrated mostly on leg strength with weights and an overload circuit courtesy of ex-PT Corps James. I have been putting some extra effort into the sponsorship chase recently and things are starting to happen. Kaplan Open Learning, with whom I am studying for my online Business Leadership and Management Degree, have agreed to donate £300 in return for a small banner ad on the blog (to follow). My boss has donated £250 to the trust (thank you very much Sir), and the Riyadh Caledonian Society have pledge somewhere over SR2000 (£333) for me to wear a St Andrew’s Buff during the sandstorm, and a small pin badge throughout the race.
Tim singing and Helen having a boogies in 'the Cave' at Arizona Compound
Most unexpectedly though was the generosity of my fellow Arizona Compound residents. My friend Tim and his band; the ‘Black Cherry Jammers’ gave a performance in the compound’s Cave venue, and Tim offered me the chance to give a 2 minute chat about the MdS and the Trust. Whilst the band played two beautiful ladies paraded my running pack to through the crowd to demonstrate the weight I’ll be carrying and took donations for the cause. By the end of the night they had collected SR3555 (£592.50). I was staggered by the kindness of those present, which only numbered around 80 individuals. Most of the crowd were US citizens, and obviously very supportive of such a good cause with strong links to the services – that is one thing you cannot take away from the American people; their loyalty to those that fight for their country. We have started to see the same kind of feelings from some of the British public with the huge success of Help For Heroes and I hope this trend continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment