Saturday, February 25, 2012

A week in the UK

Though Riyadh is still at around its coolest, Teesside was going to prove a much more difficult environment in which to simulate desert conditions. My two options were running in warm kit, and finding myself an indoor training location. The latter was provided to me by David Lloyd’s Teesside, a club at which I had been a member before being posted to Riyadh. Martin, the General Manager, is a very helpful chap and once he’d heard about my challenge; was more than happy for me to train at DL Teesside for the duration of my leave free of charge! The facilities are great and the entertainment system made the hours fly by whilst grinding away on the exercise bike. I wore track pants to keep the temperature up, but the hoodie I was planning on wearing was just too thick!
The hoodie came into play for my outdoor sessions as I ventured out for a couple of runs. The first was with the wife, whilst taking baby-sitting advantage of my parents, who were visiting for the baby’s belated first Birthday party. We ran around the top end of town for just under 40 minutes. I went on alone for a further hour, doing a nice loop around the Smiths’ Farm footpath, following the river back into town and kept motoring all the way up the hill to home.

I couldn’t resist being back in the North of England and not make use of the natural features, so took the opportunity to drive out to Great Ayton and have a run up Roseberry Toppin. This was not a long run, and did not really involve any huge distance or ascent, but wearing warm kit and possibly underestimating what I’d put into my pack; it felt like my heart and lungs were being ripped out and acid was being piped through my thighs. On reaching the summit; I met a lovely young couple of hill-walkers who were kind enough to take my photo.
 After a 10 minute chat about Yarm, the TA, and of course; MdS – I set off back down the hill. I was looking forward to the descent, possibly less than I was the climb, as I knew what it might do to my knees. I was sensible enough to take it easy and kind of scampered down sheepishly, only really letting myself open my legs on the lighter gradients. I tested out a new rehydration additive, but didn’t really get myself dehydrated enough to tell if it worked, but tested it well enough to know that it’s pretty unpalatable – proper report to follow.

I took another visit to see Stephen at Cotswold Harrogate to further abuse his kindness and stocked up on the Mountain Fuel Night sachets. Stephen even offered to order in the titanium pan I wanted, which his store did not stock, but I will order it online and have it sent direct. I stocked up on all my other milkshakes, powders and foods and am now returning to Riyadh with a case bulging with protein and carbs! I’ve also had my final fitting with my lovely Mother-in-law for my hand-made parachute silk sand smock, which weighs almost nothing and will protect me from the elements, should the sand blow up on the race.
I made some headway into the corporate sponsorship effort by ordering 1000 business cards with all the essential details of my challenge and fund-raising activities, and printed out over 100 letters requesting sponsorship from almost every trader from Yarm High Street (well those that are still current on Google Street Maps anyway, it’s been a rough year for some of the small businesses). The only instant result was from my trusty cobbler in ‘Feet First’ who gave me a cash donation and some free batteries for my heart rate monitor. If nothing else; I’ll get some more hits on the blog and I’ve met some nice people from whom I’ve had some kind messages of support.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like one of my "Trevor Treks" if your anywhere near Petersfield in Hants, there's a very good hill incline and route, it goes for miles, you would enjoy, and it's 30 mins from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to get the chance before the big event; this was my last trip back apart from catching the charter flight from Gatwick. Would be great to catch up though, we've both settled down from the craziness we used to get up to!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Very impressive and humbling, well done. We wish you all the luck in the world.

    ReplyDelete